Tuesday, November 22, 2011

The Shining

Who doesn't like shiny things? They're flashy. Eye-catching. Brilliant.

Generally, shiny things have no substance. At least shiny people. Some shiny people are wonderful beings who truly shine. But most of the time, people who shine aren't necessarily shiny. 

Shiny is such a ridiculous word. I mean, look at the spelling. You want it to be shinny, but it doesn't have enough Ns.

Shiny makes me think of aluminum foil. Aluminum foil can be attractive and it certainly draws your eye to something, but it's not really practical because it's so fragile. It tears at the slightest pressure. So it's just for storing food really, so it doesn't need to be shiny because who cares how their leftovers look? (Note: Don't put your tomatoes in aluminum foil. Just saying.) I, for one, don't care how my leftovers look. Not that I care how food looks in the first place. It's for eating. It's not art.

Also, while aluminum foil can be very eye-catching, I wouldn't try to make a sign out of it. The shine is so distracting people probably wouldn't even notice what's written on it.

I'm going to pretend this is some metaphor with depth and importance like it started out to be and all the random aluminum foil crap ties together nicely and neatly. That is how I think I'll end it. Leaving my readers to think this is meaningful and not just a weird obsession with aluminum foil.

No comments:

Post a Comment